To help you prepare for your photo session with me, I’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions! Of course, if you have any questions at all, I’d be happy to answer them via email or phone as well.
When should I schedule a session?
For most portrait sessions, with the exception of newborns & maternity, it’s best to contact me 3-4 weeks before you’d like to schedule your session. This allows flexibility on both of our ends to pick a time that works best for your family.
For maternity sessions, I recommend scheduling them in your final trimester between 28-35 weeks. I’m happy to accommodate outside of that time frame as well– I just want you to feel comfortable and beautiful as possible!
For newborn sessions, I suggest booking the session about a month before your due date. That way I can keep room in my schedule for your session. Once the baby is born, you’ll let me know, and newborn photos are best between 5-7 days after birth.
For Fresh 48 sessions, I recommend the same amount of scheduling time for a newborn session, but I will come to your birth hospital in your baby’s first 48 hours of life during daylight hours for the best natural lighting as possible.
What do I wear to my session?
These are some general suggestions when choosing your outfits. If you are unsure, please feel free to contact me prior to your session or you can bring a couple different outfits, and I can help you pick!
- Wear clothing that is flattering and comfortable. If you’re uncomfortable, it will show in the photos so choose something that you feel and look great in!
- If you will be in the photo with one or more people, take some time to color coordinate your outfits. For instance, for an engagement shoot, one person will choose their outfit, and then the second person can pick complimentary colors.
- If you know your location, feel free to pick clothes that will compliment your setting. For instance, wearing white in a snowy setting might get lost whereas a slightly darker color would stand out against the snow.
- Choose an outfit and look that looks like “you” – The photos should be representative of who you are and your style.
- Feel free to bring more than one outfit to change into during the session. If you’re going with this approach, I recommend a “dressier” and a “casual” outfit.
- Fluorescent, very bright colors, large patterns. These types of clothing can cast a color onto your face or others’ faces, or be distracting in your photos.
- If possible, don’t wear glasses. They can cause a glare over your eyes in photos, depending on the light.
- Trendy clothes. What I mean is if you pick a very “trendy” outfit, as soon as it goes out of style, your photos will feel dated. I like to stick with neutrals, solid colors, and classic outfits.
Where will the session take place?
I love when sessions reflect the people in the photos! I want these photos to be personalized to you and your personality. If you already have a location in mind, I’m happy to go there! Let me know the look you’re going for, and I also can make suggestions. I believe the spot should be significant to you as well.
How do you take payments?
When you’re ready to reserve your session date and time, I’ll send you an invoice for the non-refundable deposit (which goes towards the session fee) and a contract to sign electronically.
The remainder of the session fee is due at the end of the session. I take credit cards, checks, and cash. Please make all checks payable to “Hilary Gardiner Photography.”
When will I receive my images?
After our session, I will have a “sneak peak” up on my Facebook/Instagram accounts within 48 hours. After that, I will send the online gallery in 1-3 weeks after the session date– Sometimes sooner! They will be delivered digitally via an online gallery that you can share/download/print from. I will send you an e-mail when they are ready.
Can I share my images on social media?
Yes, of course! It’s a huge compliment when you do! If you choose to do so, please credit and/or tag Hilary Gardiner Photography. My Facebook page is “Hilary Gardiner Photography” and my Instagram is @hilarygardinerphotography. Please remember not to edit, alter, or add filters to any of the photos. Thank you!
Why should I print my images at a professional printer and not at Walgreens/Walmart?
Oh, the horror stories I have heard! 🙁 The short version is a professional printer will have the correct coloring/cropping/product. If you choose to print through me, my monitor is calibrated to match the printers’ and the photos on my screen should look the same as the prints.
If you go through Walgreens/Walmart/etc., they usually have strange coloring– either over- or under-saturated or sometimes they even crop the photo! What you see on your computer is most likely not what they will print.
If you want prints, you have the option to order them straight through your online gallery with the shopping cart symbol. If you have any questions at all, please email me!